Overall the conference was a very very good one, with lots of good mobility speakers and what I really thought was great was to get a more wider view of developing for Nokia's S60 and Maemo-platform using different technologies like JavaME, Qt, Web Runtime Widgets. Left it full of new energy and compelled to try out numerous new technologies. Update the address book with those new contacts and new friends.
Some of the hot mobility topics at this Nokia Developer Summit:
- Nokia will continue to support Flash and JavaME, but Qt that’s Nokia future direction in mobile application development for the Symbian and Maemo platform. Nokia encourage you to learn more about Qt!!
- It was also very nice to be able to hear more about the roadmap for the Java Runtime for S60, version 1.3, 1.4, 2.0 and 2.1.
- From S60 version 3.2.3 it will also be possible to upgrade the Java Runtime, nice I think.
- Nokia did not answer the question "Why develop for Maemo 5 platform?", waiting and waiting but no news on the Maemo 5 tablet, hope for some great device to come. I really love my Nokia N810!!
- I did not know so much about Nokia Web Runtime (WRT), it was nice to learn more about it.
- Qt will perhaps in the future also be part of the Symbian Foundation, it is suggested by Nokia.
- Here you find more about: Qt for Maemo 5 and Qt for S60
- Interesting to hear more about Symbian Foundation and JavaME, JavaME is not yet part of Symbian Foundation but Nokia plans to Open Source the Java Runtime for S60 and put it in Symbian Foundation.
- The new Symbian Foundation developer site: http://developer.symbian.org/ will soon open.
- Mobilize your website with 3 clicks (a Open Source CMS) using a Mobile Plugin
- I plan to learn more about Qt and WRT, it will be important in the future for mobile application development for the Symbian and Maemo platform.
- Nokia will continue to support JavaME and thats great I think, but Nokia talked more about Qt at this conference, but anyway it was very nice to to be able to see Nokia's JavaME roadmap, but I don't understand why Nokia have not publish it on forum Nokia site. It is very interesting for JavaME developer like me (I took a picture of it :-) ).
- Nokia did not talk at all about JavaFX Mobile, perhaps Nokia is not so interesting in JavaFX Mobile?
- Developers are now more important for Nokia, thats great I think!!
But I hope next conference also have more sessions about JavaME, eSWT!!
- Nokia Developer Summit video round up Part 1, by NOKIAUSER
- Nokia Developer Summit 2009 by Thiago Macieira