Friday, June 02, 2006

Upgrade my fedora 4 server and postfix (my mail server) didn’t work anymore

I found this information about How do I keep Fedora systems updated , I thought so easy to upgrade my server. I have to that now (20.30 pm) !!!
To start a full system update from the command-line, enter the following at the prompt:
su -c 'yum update'

Every thing looks ok, but my mail server (postfix) didn’t start!!
Shit ! Shit! Why did I upgrade my server now I thought, I have not time with this now!?
How important is it to have a mail server?
I should say VERY IMPORTANT!

I spend some hours try to figure out what was wrong and got some help from my friend Hansi, he I found this error in the log file:
Postfix: /etc/aliases.db: Permission denied

Now with help from Google I was able to solve it, I found this information about this problem after latest "yum update", postfix doesn't start
As root, from the command-line, enter the following at the prompt:
fixfiles restore
This will take a while. Then restart service postfix or reboot the machine.

Now it works!
What did we do before Google?
Hansi, thanks very much for your help!!

No comments: