Thursday, January 11, 2007

I am waiting and waiting for cool Java devices

I am waiting and waiting for cool things to show up, for example:
  • A ultra thin laptop, with a 11-inch screen and a keyboard. With a screen that I am able to flip horizontally, transforming the laptop into a tablet
  • A Next Generations UMPC (running MS Vista tablet Edition). Samsung have a cool device called Samsung SPH-P9000, but it is a Korea-only device (running Windows XP Tablet Edition used of UMPC).
  • A Nokia internet tablet, with a 11-inch screen & with a keyboard and also with Java support. Nokia have now released Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, but it has a small screen, no keyboard and NO Java support.
  • A Next Generation JavaME device (running JavaME/CDC1.1/PP1.1 and AGUI or JavaME/CDC1.1/FP1.1 and eSWT).
  • A iPhone, it is released but I have to wait to Q4 2007, when Apple release it here in Europe. But a iPhone with no Java support?!
  • .... and also for Apple's next OS X called Leopard, I thought to get more information from Apple's MacWorld event now, but me and other are disappointed!
I think now I have to wait and see what they releases at the 3GSM World Congress, 12-15 Feb 2007 in Barcelona and of course at next JavaOne, 8-11 May 2007.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you want a Java tablet though? Just for your work or do you have an application suite in mind?

You know the Pepper Pad right? Big java app on Fedora Core 4.

Regards
Steve
Carrypad.com

Ove Nordström said...

I work as a JavaME consultant in the mobility area. Today I think there are a lot of companies with needs to became more mobility.

Today it is possible to build simple (small screen add some limits) GUI applications (with JavaME) that run on a phone.

With next generation JavaME there will be support for better GUI toolkit. It is then possible to build other type of applications (more like reporting applications) if the hardware have bigger screens.
Internet tablets could very useful for JavaME developer like me.

I have not used pepper pad yet, is there support for java?
If not, I hope they add it!
I think today it is easier because JavaME (PhoneME Advanced) is now Open Source.