But what is the problem? times go and new devices show up on the market, I think it is opportunity for a JavaME developer with all these new cool devices. The problem is not with all new devices.
But what is the problem?
I think it is still hard to develop cool JavaME applications, I started to develop JavaME applications 2003, at that time I was very pleased with JavaME/CLDC1.0/MIDP1.0 and then later we got JavaME/CLDC1.1/MIDP2.0 and later more and more JavaME APIs.
I have one example, last week I got a new device, a Nokia E71, it is a really nice device!
I love it, but I can say "it is not for the JavaME support", the core JavME support is the same as years ago. I get so bored about that.
I think it is because the JCP process is very slow and that is the main problem, it takes to long time to release new JavaME support and sometimes there is no JavaME support at all in some devices. Read more about this at Daniel Rocha's blog Is the Java Community Process hindering innovation in JavaME.
I wondering how long will it take to get new devices with support for MIDP 3.0?
2-3 years? I get so bored about this, this it is not ok!!
But back to my question, what are you waiting for in the mobility area?
Devices I am waiting for:
- Next Nokia internet tablet, I love my Nokia N810, it is time for a new one, I would like to buy, but I can't, release a new one!
- Asus Eee PC 910 Linux Edition, it is close now, only some weeks more.
- DELL Inspiron Mini 9 , Ubuntu version
- the first Android device, before end of this year.
- HP iPaq 914 with support for Sun Wireless Client (SJWC), read more here. SJWC is phoneME Feature++ (optimizations and commercial value-added components are added in SJWC above and beyond phoneME Feature, such as optional JSRs, platform tuned optimizations, etc.).
- a Apple tablet, when will Apple release a tablet?
- a Ericsson new turbo 3g module for Intels Centrino processor in new laptop from Lenovo, Dell and Toshiba
- the first Nokia device with support for S60 touch interface
JSR's I am waiting for:
Java support I am waiting for:
- Netbeans to support LWUIT
- support for JavaME/CLDC1.1/MIDP2.0 in Nokia N810
- a new version of JavaME CDC, read more here
- Netbeans to support eSWT, eSWT is cool, but we need tool support
- Mac support for Sun Wireless Toolkit (WTK), read more here
- Next release of phoneME Advanced, MR3, it will be interesting to see what it is, phoneME Feature MR3 was released during this summer.
- Support for JavaCard 3.0 in Netbeans.
- the release of JavaFX Mobile, it look very interesting
I wondering will it also be a Java Mobile, Media and Embedded Deverloper Days Conference in Europe? (there was plans for that before)