Tuesday, November 14, 2006

JavaME and Eclipse

There is a Eclipse project for JavaME called Device Software Development Platform Project, yesterday they announces Three Milestone Releases.

See:
Eclipse unifying enterprise SOA and mobile development
Eclipse Releases Platforms for Mobiles, Target Management, Java

I think a lot good stuff coming out from this Eclipse project!
But I am little worried about the possible fragmentation of the JavaME platform.
(it is great with eSWT but I prefer if it was a JCP standard)

I think we really need a new GUI toolkit for JavaME/CDC1.1 platform and soon new devices supporting eSWT will be released, so I will go for eSWT!
(I perhaps will change my mind when there are more devices on market that supports AGUI, but for the moment I only know about the SavaJe phone Jasper)

I hope Netbeans in the future will support eSWT, but I have no hope in the short term!

I also think it great when companies like Nokia and Motorala want to support developers, but please support booth the Netbeans and the Eclipse platforms.



No comments: