Thursday, November 23, 2006

eRCP/eSWT - A platform support nightmare for Eclipse?

I found this interesting post: eRCP/eSWT - A platform support nightmare for Eclipse? at EclipseZone, the writer is worried about possible JavaME/CDC1.1 fragmentation.

The writer says:
"As I am entirely convinced of the concepts of RCP and SWT, I welcome any idea that helps eRCP to unfold its potential to the broad and diverse embedded market. The seeds of eRCP have been sowed, what needs to be done to let it become a solid tree?"

I am also entirely convinced of the concepts of RCP and SWT!
My answer is JCP!
I now think the big problem with eRCP/eSWT is: "it is not a Java standard", this issue could only be solved by go through JCP. I think companies like Nokia, IBM and SUN must accept responsibility for this issue with eRCP/eSWT!

But I also think it is not enough with a JCP standard. The standard must also be accepted by companies who makes all theses devices. I wrote earlier about this problem with AGUI(JSR-209) is finished, but don’t believe AGUI will have any success!!.

No comments: