I was thinking about JavaME and wondering about JavaME status on a Symbian^3-device from Nokia.
Now a days Nokia have something called Java Runtime, Nokia E7 have the version called: Java Runtime 2.1 for Symbian
Java Runtime 2.1 for Symbian contains Java Technology like:
- JSR 139 Connected, Limited Device Configuration (CLDC) 1.1
- JSR 118 MIDP 2.1
- JSR 75 FileConnection and PIM API 1.0
- JSR 82 Java™ APIs for Bluetooth 1.1
- JSR 172 J2ME™ Web Services Specification 1.0 (RPC package)
- JSR 172 J2ME™ Web Services Specification 1.0 (XML Parser package)
- JSR 177 Security and Trust Services API for J2ME™ 1.0 (SATSA-APDU package)
- JSR 177 Security and Trust Services API for J2ME™ 1.0 (SATSA-CRYPTO package)
- JSR 177 Security and Trust Services API for J2ME™ 1.0 (SATSA-PKI package)
- JSR 184 Mobile 3D Graphics API for J2ME™ 1.1
- JSR 205 Wireless Messaging API 2.0
- JSR 226 Scalable 2D Vector Graphics API for J2ME™ 1.1
- JSR 234 Advanced Multimedia Supplements 1.1 (audio3d)
- JSR 234 Advanced Multimedia Supplements 1.1 (music)
- JSR 256 Mobile Sensor API
- IAP Info API 1.0
- eSWT UI API 1.0.3
- JSR 135 Mobile Media API 1.2
- JSR 179 Location API for J2ME™ 1.0.1
- JSR 248 Mobile Service Architecture Subset 1.1 for CLDC 1.1
- Nokia UI API 1.4
MIDP 3.0 is missing!! Will it come? I don't know but I don't think Nokia working a lot with JavaME for the moment?
What about Symbian Anna, will it come with a updated Java Runtime?
Is JavaME also a dead end at Nokia? I don't know, it would be very interesting to see a roadmap for javaME on Nokia-devices??
At latest JavaOne2010 Oracle talked about JavaMe.Next, any plans for support that?
Update (Thanks to Gorkem Ercan at Nokia):
- JRT 2.2 started to ship to symbian^3 phones it adds couple of new JSRs and a few features read more here.
- JRT 2.2 for symbian supports NFC and mobile broadcast(DVB-H) APIs